Skip to content ↓

English as an Additional Language

Slindon College is an EAL Boarding School set amongst the glorious British countryside.

Slindon College offers intensive English language tuition for children in the UK. Our EAL boarding school helps children learn and improve English language skills with the assistance of our EAL tutor. Available to children as part of their Primary and Secondary education, our teaching staff help international pupils improve their confidence with English as they settle into our highly-rated teaching establishment in West Sussex, UK.

Slindon College provides children with a family-orientated home away from home environment and welcomes pupils from various backgrounds, countries and academic abilities. Our pupils have the opportunity to board with us full-time or on a flexible basis as and when preferable throughout different terms and weekends.

Slindon College is proud to be included in The Good School Guide.

What is EAL?

EAL (English as an Additional Language) teaching is for those whose first language is not English. By supporting children in EAL classroom environments with tailored teaching methods, children with different English language abilities will be able to learn at a pace they are comfortable with and work towards their future academic goals.

Slindon College welcomes children from around the world who require expert English tuition within an educational establishment. Upon entry to the College, your child is screened by a specialist EAL tutor to assess their English language abilities and to decide whether a small group classroom environment or individual tuition would best suit their current English skills.

Our English as an Additional Language school fully supports all children and works alongside them to tailor their English language tuition so they can really take the most out of their education with us here at Slindon College.

What does English as an Additional language mean?

English as an additional language (EAL) is a term used in the United Kingdom that refers to those in educational environments whose first language is not English. English as an additional language teaching introduces non-native speakers to specialist tuition methods to help them learn the English language.

What is an EAL child?

An EAL child refers specifically to children under the age of 18 who require additional English language help to learn the UK’s primary and secondary school curriculum.

How can I help my child with EAL?

Our specialist EAL teaching staff utilise a range of teaching methods tailored to help EAL children learn and develop within a supportive and goal-orientated educational environment.

  • Visual teaching methods that encourage children to participate in the classroom and engage with our EAL teaching programme.
  • Our teachers are patient with all children studying with us. Our priority is to help your child learn within a supportive environment.
  • Intensive vocabulary improvements helps our children to understand more about what we are teaching and assist in the development of English language skills.

Children attending EAL lessons within a school environment are supported in their journey to learn about their new language, environment and country. Slindon College’s EAL coordinators carefully monitor our pupils and guide them with supportive and constructive learning. Once your child has gained proficient confidence in the English language, they will be able to work towards the national curriculum alongside additional English language learning.

English as an additional language school in England

Slindon College welcomes the linguistic diversity of all children and successfully helps international pupils develop their English language skills amongst a supportive and progressive educational environment.

Our dedicated EAL department is proud to work with our unique children and welcomes parents and their children to contact us to find out more about how we can help your child.

To find out more about EAL learning here at Slindon College, please contact us.

More advice if you are a Parent Living or Working Abroad.